Mungret St.Pauls GAA Club - Home

Tel: 061 301 655  |  View Events »  |  Contact Us »

Latest News


U14 Hurling

Taking the limelight this team have completed what a lot have deemed impossible. When a team win the féile it is said they are not able to achieve the much coveted U14 County title. This U14 team set another record in the club books.
Knockaderry pulled out all the stops and made this a final to remember for everyone. Mungret St.Pauls players, officials and the Ballybrown team lined out infront of the stand for the national anthem which trumpeted out putting the hairs on the back of your neck standing, followed by a minute silence to honor the memory of a dedicated player Jack Lyons.
Ballybrown won the toss and chose to play with the wind. The game had a slow start, Mungret were only awarded 2 scoring chances from frees in the first half both put to good use as one went between the uprights and the other nestled in the back of the net. Ballybrown were on the chase and the first of their frees was pointed, to put them on the scoreboard. Mungret replied to that with Dylan Brosnan as he took his opportunity and gave the Ballybrown goalie no chance to stop the bullet of a ball to the corner of the net.
The Mungret St. Pauls backs were under pressure as Ballybrown pummeled sliotars at them, the powerhouse fullback, Patrick Dwane was solid in his position as Ballybrown went for goals, the corner backs David Rickard and Mark Shanahan completed the line as a strong defense, cleaning up the loose wide balls. Rumor has it that Mungret St. Pauls scored all the goals in this match as a scuffle at our goal mouth saw the green flag being raised with delight for Ballybrown.
Ballybrown quickly drew the score to level pegging with 2 more placed balls. Sean O’Riordan put in his best game in Knockaderry and was rewarded with a point from play. Corner forward Liam Lynch worked hard winning the ball at the 45 and getting it toward a score only for it to be won back in the pass. Keith McInerney was on form in his free taking wowing the supporters and adding another point from play. As the score only saw a 1 point lead to Mungret 2-03 to 1-05 the first half came to an end. This for Mungret was defiantly a game of two halves giving away 8 scoring chances of frees to Ballybrown they could only improve.
When they came back out they stunned everyone as they took control of the pitch. It only took a minute for Mungret to add a point from the 65. Dermot Maloney with his determination worked well on the pitch achieving one of the few frees awarded to Mungret. Conor O’Malley fought hard to win possession for Mungret at one stage was seen sitting on the grass rising and passing the sliotar. With 2 more added points to the red and white there was no coming back for Ballybrown when Mark Patterson got stuck into a tackle sought the ball out and sent it to the forwards to be put to bed in the back of the net. Another point from play to Mungret before the white helmet of Stephen Cotter Gleeson was seen dodging through the Ballybrown defense and putting the sliotar to a stop in the goals. Ballybrown needed goals but with Darragh O’Hagan on duty he was letting nothing get passed him, clearing all that came his way. It was only at this stage in the second half that Ballybrown managed to get their first and only point from play.
Mungret gained another 2 points before Odhran O’Dwyer took no prisoners in winning the ball and with accuracy sent the sliotar to Seamus Hurley who did a lap of his man before he was credited his goal hat trick . Jake Connelly who captained the team was seen dodging and weaving through players getting the sliotar back to the Ballybrown half of the pitch. Conor Galvin who was brought on earlier in this half used his speed and agility to get the breaking ball. Mungret sought a few changes on the pitch bringing on what subs they were allowed with Jack Moroney, Ethan O’Sullivan, Tom Bolger and Darragh Ryan all taking to the pitch slotting perfectly into place as another goal for Mungret was an added bonus. Ballybrown ended the match with their second point in this half.
Full time whistle went, only to be drowned out by the echo of cheers from the great Mungret St. Pauls supporters in the stand. As they proved in the Féile final these MEN had done it again. They flipped the game totally in the second half to score 6-09 to 1-07.
The Jack Lyons memorial cup was awarded to Jake Connolly by Jacks family.We would like to thank the Lyons family for sponsoring the cup in memory of their féile captain, Jacks name will be remembered in Mungret as our young players will be aiming to put Mungret St. Pauls on the Jack Lyons cup many times.
All clubs have one and Ballybrown are our neighbour rivals, we meet each other at many games in different codes and have always been given a good game. We thank them for a great challenge and know we will see them again next year at U15 and in the next few weeks when the U13 play for their county title against them.
Our BIGGEST Thanks go to the players and Mentors alike, without the time and effort they put in all year they would not of been able to bring us
to Knockaderry Gaa.
The Team are:
Darragh O Hagan, Tom Bolger, Patrick Dwane, David Rickard, Odhran O’Dwyer, Jake Connolly, Dermot Moloney, Keith Mcinerney, Dylan Brosnan, Mark Patterson, Conor O’Malley, Sean O’Riordan, Stephen Cotter Gleeson, Seamus Hurley, Liam Lynch, Eamonn Flahive, Conor Galvin, Jack Moroney, Brian O’Meara, Ben O’Sullivan, Ethan O’Sullivan, Darragh Ryan, Eoghan Ryan, Mark Shanahan
Mentors Richie Burke,
Joe Moriarty, Vince Bolger, Jason Brosnan, Brendan Ryan

Photos from the match are on



News Archives